Our commanding scale
- Over 674,000 hotel rooms, or 4,600 hotels
- Over 1,000 pipeline hotels
- Operating in nearly 100 countries and territories around the world
- Nine hotel brands – InterContinental, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites, EVEN™ Hotels and HUALUXE™ Hotels and Resorts
- Over 157m guest nights annually
- Listed on the London and New York stock exchanges
- $21.2bn of total gross revenues from hotels in IHG's system in 2012
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC was formed by the separation of Six Continents PLC (previously Bass PLC) on 15 April 2003. The restaurant and pubs part of Six Continents became Mitchells & Butlers plc.
However, IHG's brands trace their history back much further than 2003. Our Holiday Inn brand, one of the world's most recognised, was created in the 1950s by Kemmons Wilson in the US. InterContinental, another of our brands, was created by Pan Am in the 1940s, when hotels were built in many of Pan Am's destinations.
We have moved from investing heavily in hotel properties to return to our roots as a hotel franchise and management company and reducing the capital intensity of the business.
View our strategy
Figures as at 31 March 2013